Howard Fast: Freedom Road
Cuesta library has a copy of the following book on Reserve at the Circ Desk in the lobby.
Macdonald, Andrew Howard Fast: a critical companion PS3511 .A784 Z7 1996
We also have a folder you can check out for 2 hours at the Reserve Desk. You can make copies of the articles in the Copy room. The folder contains the following material:
Reviews and Criticism
1. Cuthbertson, Sarah “Hope for the Heart and Food for the Soul: Historical Fiction in the Life of Howard Fast.” 2003 From: Solander 13
2. DeSantis, Christopher C. “The Thing Indefinable and Unconquerable: Howard Fast’s Experiment in Democracy.” From Journal of American Culture. Found in EBSCOhost.
3. Enotes. (online) Howard Fast- Introduction
4. Gareffa, Peter M. Fast, Howard (Melvin) Contemporary Authors, vol. 1 1981
5. Macdonald, Andrew. “Freedom Road.” From: Howard Fast: A Critical Companion, 1996
6. Meisler, Stanley.” The Lost Dreams of Howard Fast”. From: The Nation 1959
7. Moon, Bucklin “Mr. Fast Surveys the ‘Tragic Era.” From: New York Times Book Review 27 Aug. 1944+
8. Howard (Melvin) Fast 1914- (from Contemporary Literary Criticism vol. 23)
9. List of Reviews of Freedom Road
10. Literary Index- complete list of Howard Fast in Gale Publishing journals
11. Current Biography Yearbook 1991 Howard Fast
12. Buckley, William F. Howard Fast, R.I.P. From: National Review
13. McLellan, Dennis Howard Fast, 88. Los Angeles Times
14. Rothstein, Mervyn Howard Fast, 88 New York Times
15. Howard Fast at http://trussel.com/f_how.htm
Reference Material in the Library
Contemporary Literary Criticism (CLC) Ref PN 771 C59
This set of books contains short reviews and opinions of critics about works of a particular author. Howard Fast has 2 main entries in volumes 23 and 131. The body of the books is arranged alphabetically. Just look under Fast.
Contemporary Authors (CA) Ref PN 451 C6
This multi-volume set primarily has biographical articles on authors, but contains some critical analysis as well. Howard Fast article is in vol. 1.
Current Biography Yearbook Ref CT100 C8 One page entry on Howard Fast.
Use other libraries! Cal Poly and the SLO City-County Public system have different databases than Cuesta. You can check out books at Cal Poly with a current registration from Cuesta or a current student identification card with picture.
Note: Barnes & Noble and Amazon have customer reviews. These are by people like you who have read the book. They are not ‘expert’ opinions.